On 2/27/2012 1:09 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Feb 27, 3:32 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 2/27/2012 11:54 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

  AIs can generate their own software. That is the point of AI.
They don't have to generate their own software though, we have to tell
them to do that and specify exactly how we want them to do it.
Not exactly.  AI learns from interactions which are not known to those who
write the AI
program.
...when we program them specifically to 'learn' in the  the exact ways
which we want them to.

They can learn by higher level program modifications too, and those can also be random. So there is no evidence that their learning is qualitatively different from yours.

Brent

You can't really even say learning in any
strong sense, it's really only doing something recursively enumerating
something with a success criteria filter. It is no more learning than
a fishing net learns how to catch the biggest fish every time.

Craig