On 28 Feb 2012, at 21:41, meekerdb wrote:

On 2/28/2012 12:29 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Feb 28, 10:43 am, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Comp substitute "consciousness"... such as you could not feel any
difference (in your consciousness from your POV) if your brain was
substituted for a digital brain.
What if you have two digital substitute brains? Do you become both
copies yourself at once and still not feel any difference? If not, and
you are in brain A, do you appear inside brain B if you turn brain A
off?

Disembodied consciousness is silly.

Craig

The implication of Comp is that there is no "you". "You" are an abstraction, a fiction, just another element in a model of the world.

OK, but I would avoid the word "fiction", because people are used to believe that "fiction" are not real. yet people believe that prime number are real, not fiction (except in extravagant non standard philosophy of math). I bet that Craig will jump on this little gift you offer to him! The type of "fiction", or better, as you said "abstraction" are real concept, "causally efficacious" thanks to the laws of addition and multiplication.