Future Day: a new global holiday March 1February 29, 2012

*[+]* <http://www.kurzweilai.net/images/future_day.png>Why are nearly all
our holidays focused on celebrating the past, or the cyclical processes of
nature? Why not celebrate the amazing future we are collectively creating?

That’s the concept behind a new global holiday, Future
Day<http://futureday.org/>(March 1), conceived by AI researcher Dr.
Ben Goertzel. Future
Day 2012 gatherings <http://futureday.org/events/> are scheduled in more
than a dozen cities, as well as in Second
Life<http://slurl.com/secondlife/Terasem/121/155/30/?img=http%3A//hplusmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/futuredaylogo.png&title=Future%20Day%20in%20Second%20Life%2C%20March%201%202012%206pm%20EST&msg=Future%20Day%20in%20Second%20Life%2C%20March%201%202012%206pm%25>
.

“Celebrating and honoring the past and the cyclical processes of nature is
a valuable thing,” says Goertzel. “But in these days of rapid technological
acceleration, it is our future that needs more attention, not our past. My
hope is that Future Day can serve as a tool for helping humanity focus its
attention on figuring out what kind of future it wants, and striving to
bring these visions to reality.”
------------------------------

“The past is over; the present is fleeting; we live in the future.” — Ray
Kurzweil re Future Day

------------------------------

“Ray Kurzweil* *predicts that technological paradigm shifts will become
increasingly common, leading to ‘technological change so rapid and profound
it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history,’” says Goertzel.

“Future Day is designed to center the impossible in the public mind once a
year as a temptation too delicious to resist,” says Howard Bloom, author of
*Global Brain.* “If all matter in the universe is comprised of patterns,
let’s redesign what doesn’t work and form new methods for approaching the
future with fluidity,” says designer Natasha Vita-More, Chair,
Humanity+<http://humanityplus.org/>
.

*Future Day events so far*

Melbourne <http://futureday2012.eventbrite.com/>, 5:30 PM (1:30 AM EST) to
10:30 PM, moderated by Singularity Summit AU organizer Adam A. Ford and
Australian ABC TV newscaster Josie Taylor, with Skype call-ins by Goertzel
and Vita-More.

Terasem Island, Second Life, 6 PM EST: a public
event<http://opencog.org/2012/02/future-day-in-hong-kong-second-life-and-melbourne-australia/>,
where authors Howard Bloom and Martine Rothblatt and blogger Giulio Prisco
will join Goertzel, Vita-More, and Adam A. Ford.

Other events: Sydney, Berkeley, Edmonton, Houston, Sao Paulo, **Salt Lake
City, Brussels, Paris, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, Washington DC, and Lehi
(Utah). See http://futureday.org/events for updates.

Starting your own event? List it here: i...@futureday.org