There is an important distinction between the names and notations of
mathematics and the objects of study of mathematics.  I believe the former
are inventions of humans while the latter exist independently of mankind.
For example, I am saying that the symbol 0 is an invention of mankind but
what is pointed to by the symbol 0 is not an invention of mankind.

I can't give you absolute proof especially when we're going to assume
different things (i.e., we live in different paradigms).  One thing that
gives me a clue about my conclusion is that mathematical objects will not
exist any less if humanity were to go extinct.  However, arguing that is
like arguing for a particular answer to a koan.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <> wrote:

> Yet, according to my current view, mathematics has been created by the
> mankind.

To post to this group, send email to