John,

It is not that bad to say that we do not know something. Yet, it might be even better to specify more accurately what exactly we do not know.

Think of your younger colleagues that do chemistry research right now. Chemists have been quite successful and the story continues. The concepts of atom, molecule, macromolecule, electron density, etc. have helped a lot along this way. We may take this concepts ontologically or just pragmatically, this is after all not that important. Materials science seems not to be affected.

Evgenii