On Mar 20, 12:01 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> to explain things. But comp is a (scientific, modest) theology, in
> which we can "believe", hope, or fear, and which makes just many
> fundamental question technically formulable.

There is no consideration that the very act of technical formulation
could have an effect on the answer. As the Tao Te Ching begins: "The
name that can be named is not the enduring and unchanging name." This
is not modest at all, it is in fact a reckless and arrogant
assumption. Comp assumes that its own framework can accommodate all
things and that no framework can reduce it to another, while further
assuming that this assumption is irrelevant or unavoidable. It may be
useful to think of it that way for specific purposes, but as a bet of
universal significance, it seems to me an obvious catastrophe.

> In particular it does
> answer the question "where does the universe come from?". The answer
> is, by the truth about addition and multiplication, and the technical
> details are accessible to any universal machines.
> You will ask: "where does addition and multiplication comes from".
> This, in the comp theory can be answered: we will never know, at least
> in any publicly communicable way.

Why add the extra step of addition and multiplication? The deus ex
mysterium of the latter answer nullifies any value of the former
answer, which now becomes:

"where does the universe come from?"
"we will never know, at least in any publicly communicable way. "

Somewhere between the complete failure to answer universal questions
and the certainty of arithmetic lies the really important questions.
It's a distraction to insert arithmetic in the first place when it
could just as easily be the case that the universal colors and odors
give rise to the universe.

> We already need the numbers to give
> sense to the question, and we can show that without assuming them (or
> equivalent) we cannot recover them.

What sense do numbers give to the question?

Craig