On Mar 21, 3:23 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2012, at 17:40, Craig Weinberg wrote (partially).

> >> False. The exact contrary has been proved.
>
> > How has it been proved? How can we be ourselves without a world to
> > exist in?
>
> Sure. What has been proved is that if comp is true we can only be in a
> non digitizable world.
> Digital physics is non sense, except as tool for building approximate
> theory.
> Comp is not digital physics.

How does a digital artificial intelligence make sense of it's world
without converting or sampling every truth about that world available
to it into digital?

> >> If you negate this, it means that
> >> you assume the level to be "infinitely low",
>
> > No, it means I understand that your assumption that description can be
> > quantified is simplistic and inaccurate.
>
> Description of my (generalized) brain. With your theory we have
> zombie.

Never zombie, only puppet. Zombie is like calling water 'wet fire'.

> But that's OK. remember that when we assume something, it does
> not mean that we believe it is true. I am not interested in doing
> philosophy.
>
> > Just as these words seem word-
> > like enough to us doesn't mean that they can't be revealed as generic
> > pixels on closer inspection. There is no universal level of
> > description, it is entirely relative to the sensory capacities of the
> > audience - the qualitative capacities, not just the quantitative
> > resolution.
>
> You are talking in another theory. I work in the theory comp, that's
> all.
> Read the paper to convince you that I do not put the 1p under the rug.

It's not under the rug, it is showing the bottom of the rug and saying
it's the floor.

> You stop at step zero. It is your right.
>

> >> so that you need to
> >> introduce actual infinity and non computability of all levels. It is
> >> your right, but you fail to present a theory of this.
>
> > That has been your knock on me the whole time, but you aren't seeing
> > that my position is an order of magnitude more radical than that. I am
> > saying that finite and infinite qualities are not relevant at all. Not
> > even a little bit.
>
> > The uniqueness of the self and the indeterminacy of 1p are important
> > but nearly irrelevant compared to the presentational-participatory
> > aspects. It's not just that we feel different from other people or
> > that we can't predict how living things behave as well as we might
> > chemical or physical reactions. It makes sense that we would seize on
> > these aspects as important because we can work with them
> > arithmetically; they are the most quantitative functions of the self.
>
> > These are only the flattened shadows of selfness though. They mention
> > of the self but they don't actually use it. A picture of a bell, a
> > printout of a song, etc. That we feel unique or free is nothing
> > compared to the reality that we feel at all. This is the sticking
> > point. If we had reason to believe that programs or furniture could be
> > coaxed into feeling in the first place, we would not be having this
> > discussion. We would be talking instead about whether it is moral to
> > turn off our computers or to replace them when we get tired of them.
>
> Nice.

> >> Because it is provable that computing exists once the addition and
> >> multiplication laws are assumed. Indeed computation has been
> >> discovered there.
>
> > I have no problem with that, but what does that have to do with
> > computing becoming the universe?
>
> Study the sane04 paper.  Or search in the archive. It is a consequence
> of comp that physics emerge from the way numbers can bet on
> arithmetical relations. It is not entirely obvious.

I don't have a problem with physics emerging from comp, I have a
problem with consciousness emerging from either one.

> >> ?
>
> > I can unplug the monitor and sound card of my computer and all
> > programs will function without them. Why would the programs (even uber
> > sophisticated meta programs) need to dream?
>
> They don't need to dream. But they can (trivially with comp that I
> assume all the time). Physics appears because deep linear dreams are
> shared by relatively persistent universal numbers.

Couldn't physics still theoretically appear without anything dreaming
anything? Isn't that the point of physics, to explain the world as a
structured relation which makes sense entirely in physical terms?

> >> ?
>
> > If our lives are being dreamed by Platonic universal principles, why
> > do we want to turn them into dust by seeking out the dreamers?
>
> Because we are curious.

In Comp that can make sense that we would be curious about what can
only reveal our own lives meaningless data. In a sense realism, we are
only likely to be curious because on some level we already know that
comp is just another new dimension of meaning to explore and create
in. We know, on some level, that we don't really have to worry about
computers coming to life or developing feelings.

> >> No, it is just a logical consequence.
>
> > Logic is also about certainty.
>
> It is about relations between beliefs. The "certainty" is in the
> sharable deduction, not in the content of the statements.

Isn't all certainty in the sharable deduction?

> >> Those are not assumed, but have to be explained. That's the point.
>
> > I'm assuming them though. As you assume addition and multiplication, I
> > could assume odor and color and go from there.
>
> Except that addition is far simpler than a notion of odor and color.

Tell that to a two year old.

> We need a big human brain to get easily the human color.

How do you know that the color we see isn't what the molecules in a
cone cell see?

> It is simpler
> to agree on the simple laws that I show in my post to Stephen. You
> assume what I want to explain. You could say as well that the reason
> why there is a moon, is that when we look at it we see it.

I would never say that the moon is there for us to see, only that the
'thereness' of the moon only exists as a function of things being
similar enough to the moon to detect it but dissimilar enough not to
be it.

In the words of Ernst Mach (http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/1259/1/
MachContributionToInertia.pdf):

    “the sensations are not representations of things, but on the
contrary
    a thing is a mental representation of a set of relatively stable
sensations”

    Mach E., Die Prinzipien der W¨armelehre historisch-kritisch
dargestellt (Lipsia) 1896

I would make a couple of small but important changes:

“a thing is THE mental PRESENTATION of a set of relatively stable
sensations.”

> > I could say arithmetic
> > is part of the dream of universal qualia.
>
> Everybody agree and grasp arithmetic. for "qualia" I regularly met
> people who don't grasp the notion.

That's what makes qualia the counter-intuitive universal truth. Of
course we don't readily grasp ourselves in the world since the world
is the reflection of exactly what we are not, not what we are.

> > All digital patterns could
> > be reduced to stereo distinctions of simpler whole qualia into which
> > complexity is injected as an afterthought.
>
> Please do it.

1 = feeling of flow
0 = feeling of holding back

done

> >> Because you assume non-comp and all the answers (on consciousness,
> >> matter, ...) at the start.
>
> > I don't assume non-comp, I assumed comp for many years until I
> > eventually saw reason to stop assuming it.
>
> All the reason you gave are more related to the reductionist
> conception of nulbers and machine, which can no more be sustained
> after Gödel's and Turing's discoveries.

I don't pretend to understand Gödel's and Turing's discoveries as you
do or as even a casual math enthusiast does, but I don't think I
misunderstand them. I don't share your interpretation that
incompleteness proves the boundless fertility of arithmetic truth, I
think it proves the reverse, that all arithmetic logics are limited
and incapable of justifying their own axioms, therefore impossible to
ground fundamental universal principles.

Is there any relevant point of Gödel's and Turing's work that you can
tell me about in layman's terms that you think would change my
position if I understood it? I think that you think I underestimate
the capacity of Universal Machines, but I think that is not the case
at all. I am fully prepared to see Turing based logic emulate
everything from Jello pudding to sex slaves eventually, but I don't
think any of it will be really real, even to us. They will always be
CGI churn because they aren't grounded in the overall narrative of the
cosmos. They have no unified matter-energy-sense-motive-time-space
address, just assemblies of objects that are forever strangers to each
other.

Craig

I like 'nulbers'