On Mar 22, 10:46 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > How does a digital artificial intelligence make sense of it's world
>
> Superbly! A digital AI can make sense of it's world far better than you
> can; if you doubt that statement just try competing against even a modest
> chess playing computer.

My question was not 'How can AI make sense of its world?' but 'How can
AI make sense of its world without converting or sampling digitally?'

> > > without converting or sampling every truth about that world available to
> > it into digital?
>
> It does convert much of its world to digital, if its world is large it may
> not be able to convert all of it with the result that it won't be able to
> make sense of all of it,

Then you agree with me: AI cannot make sense out of its world without
converting or sampling it digitally. That which it fails to digitize
is lost.

> but it will understand more of it than you do as
> can be proven with real world testing. Undoubtedly you will say that just
> because the machine beat the pants off you doesn't mean it understands the
> material better than you do,

I'm not sure why you keep making this point with me over and over
again. By your reasoning, 'beating' someone at some task equals
intelligence in general, so that if an electric can opener opens a can
faster than Einstein does, the can opener is smarter than Einstein.

> and you may have told your professor that just
> because you got a F on the final exam doesn't mean you didn't understand
> the material better than the professor did, but I think you will find that
> both remarks are equally convincing.

When you figure out why opening a can doesn't make you a genius, then
you should be able to apply the same logic to understand why a machine
winning at a mathematical game like chess doesn't make it intelligent.
Neither does a color copier which can forge great paintings in a
matter of seconds make it a great artist.

Craig