On Mar 22, 4:58 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > Then you agree with me: AI cannot make sense out of its world without
> > converting or sampling it digitally. That which it fails to digitize
> > is lost.
>
> Sure.  What you don't see you don't see - which is almost all of the EM
> spectrum.  Of
> course Bruno's theory is that it's all digital, but we're within the digits
> and cannot
> capture more than a measure zero.

Yes, human beings can't detect everything either, but my point was
that we know for certain that everything in an AI's world has to be
modeled digitally, therefore a digital brain creates a digital world
within it. Just because our ability to sense the world is not
unlimited doesn't mean that our sense is digital or a model. Our
experience of the world may not be a model at all, but a direct
presentation at the anthropomorphic level (which includes, but is not
limited to a mixture of lower level analog and digital
representations).

Even if our own world were nothing but a digital simulation, the
experience of it is not digital, which wouldn't make sense in a
digital world. Why create a floridly rich abstraction layer of sense
experience if you already have the data you need to function
optimally, or, if you have the sense experience already, why would you
need any digital data to function?

Your comment brings up another related point. As you say, we only see
a small sliver of the EM spectrum. What that means is that we
(figuratively) 'see' that we don't literally 'see' all that there is.
We can make inferences that extend beyond the literal capacities of
our direct sensation. Can machines do that? Can machines figure out
that they lack emotion on their own?

Craig