On Mar 23, 1:08 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Unsupported assertion.
> > If the world is digital already, then why would you need to model it?
> > Does a digital computer need a continua to open a digital file?

> >> No. So far as I know, no one has come up with a digital model of physics
> >> that isn't
> >> empirically falsified - and it isn't for want of trying.  All the models
> >> are continuous
> >> and based on real numbers.  It is just that all the calculations and
> >> measurements are
> >> digital, i.e. based on integers.
> > That's what I'm saying. A model = calculations and measurements.
> > That's what I mean by the modelling itself. If I write a book about
> > physics, the book can be written in English but not speculating that
> > physics itself is an English phenomenon.

> >> What difference does it make to symbolic grounding whether the symbol
> >> refers to a
> >> continuum or an integer field?
> > I never said that those were the two choices, you are the one who
> > introduced continuity. Both analog and digital are methods of
> > abstracting. I'm not talking about one kind of model versus another,
> > I'm talking about concrete presentation versus abstract
> > representation. My position is that our experience in the world is no
> > model at all (although modeling is certainly part of it). Our
> > experience is not a total experience of THE universe, but it is a
> > total experience of OUR world (perceptual inertial framework), which
> > includes the understanding that there is a difference and the tools to
> > actually extend our world further into rest of the universe.
>
> > The machine's world is not similarly open to expansion. It does not
> > have the tools to extend its sense. You could connect a camera to Deep
> > Blue through a printer port in it would never in a trillion years
> > figure out how to use it.

> >> Another unsupported assertion. How would you know?
> > If music were digital you wouldn't need to hear it. You could look at
> > a picture of the data and get the same experience.
>
> >> Some people claimed that digital audio
> >> sounded different - but double blind tests showed they were mistaken.
> > That may be true, and that's not what I was talking about, but also I
> > don't think that any kind of objective test like that prove that
> > anyone is 'mistaken' about how something feels. It may be that doing a
> > double blind test creates a placebo effect when subjectivity is being
> > tested.
>
> And it might be you're blowing smoke because you don't like the facts.

Possible, but it's also because in my understanding, subjectivity
works in exactly that way.

> > Just as the double slit test does unexpected things to light,
> > we cannot assume that our subtle awareness can be manipulated on
> > demand. That assumption itself is a cognitive bias which may very well
> > contaminate the data.
>
> > It seems to me that digital audio is colder, clearer, with more
> > brittle and shallow percussion and more sibilance than analog. It's
> > hard to say because I'm not comparing apples to apples, but I'm not
> > sure that the experiment you are talking about did either. I don't
> > know what assumptions they made. Also why does everyone seem to make
> > the same exact mistake about how digital sounds to them? Why no people
> > who insist that digital is more expressive and poetic?

> >> LOL!!  That's pretty funny coming from a guy reading pixels off a screen
> >> that looks
> >> continuous to him.
> > If I were digital I wouldn't need a screen.
>
> But you might have one anyway.

Why?

> Not everything is arranged per your needs.

Then I might have a clown on a leash in the sky too.

> > I would receive the
> > information directly from the digital source with no intermediary
> > display at all. If I had a display, there would be no point in seeing
> > the pixels as continuous,
>
> You keep talking about aspects of the world having no point, not being
> needed. You seem to
> implicitly assume the world was made to satisfy your ideas of purpose.

Not my ideas of purpose - any possible idea of purpose.

If you can explain to me why a computer needs nothing but 1s and 0s to
play a symphony, but we need harmony, melody, rhythm, acoustics,
culture, feeling, etc, then all I would say you have a point, but I
know you have no more idea of how it could possibly make sense than I
do. I'm just being honest that it obviously makes no sense and not
holding on to fantasies of promissory functionalism.

> > I would see them exactly as they are.

> >> That would be a good question IF I had created it for me.
> > don't understand

> >> Your "challenges" consist of nothing but assertions occasionally supported
> >> by off-the-wall
> >> metaphors.
> > If that were true, would it make them any less of a challenge?
> > Sometimes "The Emperor wears no clothes." is sufficient.
>
> And they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

Seems like you are getting the hang of the assertions+off the wall
metaphors game.

Craig