On 4/10/2012 11:08 PM, John  wrote:

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/apr/10/mind-outside-head-consciousness/

It is a more extreme version of a view I have long held that consciousness is relative to an external environment and without that environment the the brain would devolve into loops or unconscious state. But I don't see that Manzotti provides a very useful model of imagination or dreams or recall of images by electrostimulation of the brain. Those phenomena imply that the information is stored in the brain. To say it's shared with an external process that happened years before doesn't add anything; the sharing is via storage in the brain.