On 19 Apr 2012, at 19:04, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Hi David,

I attach a comment by Victor Stenger on Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe
from Nothing".  You might also want to follow the link to David
Albert's critical review.  Is it meaningful to speak of a "nothing"
beyond the void of RQFT?  Or beyond the truths of arithmetic?

http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=4754&utm_source=philosophynws&utm_medium=facebook

Hmm... They are not aware of the mind body problem, and they take for granted a speculation on one universal number (and then Dawkins is glad because it is not theology.

I did not see the message was public. No big problem, I hope.

Another problem with the notion of nothing, is that it is relative to a theory. Either set theory, in which case much more than arithmetic is assumed, or quantum physics, etc. In each case some strong axioms are assumed in non equivalent theories.

Krauss clearly assumes the physical laws, which is an assumption which cannot work with comp (by UDA), unless we eliminate consciousness.

Bruno

You may be interested in today's BBC Radio 4 "In Our Time" with Melvyn
Bragg et al, which was about Neo-Platonism and Plotinus.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/iot/iot_20120419-1145a.mp3

That seems much more interesting :)

Best,