On 4/20/2012 3:22 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 4/20/2012 2:08 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I don't think you have to explain it from *primary* matter. In fact it is usually explained in terms of electrochemistry of neurons and hormones, which are several steps up from quarks and electrons which themselves may not be primary.

Elimanating often the qualia and consciousness. Material explanation explains only the behavior.

I'm not convinced though that comp is any better. It comes down to saying qualia are computations seen from the inside. But you could as well say they are brain processes seen from the inside.

He does not explain where the physical laws come from, nor does he addressed the consciousness issue. But of course you need to develop your understanding of the mind-body problem. The english literature contains many good texts. Then the UDA explains how to reformulate the problem into a purely arithmetical problem.

But at the expense of turning physics and everything else into an arithmetical problem. The problem I see with the UDA is that its passivity is contagious. In order to function as an AI in the world it needs more and more of the world to be subsumed into it's computation.

Dear Bruno and Brent,

It might be helpful if you guys would chat a bit about what you mean by "from the inside". You seem to allude to a outside/inside relation here. Could you flesh this out a lot more? I have some thoughts of my own on this, but I would really like to see what your thoughts are about this relation. For example, does it involve some thing like a boundary that when crossed is equivalent to a transition from outside to inside or the reverse? What would define such a boundary for COMP?

--
Onward!

Stephen

~ Francis Bacon