On 5/7/2012 12:04 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On May 7, 1:25 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

The 'laws' of logic are just the rules of language that ensure we don't issue
contradictory statements.
You have to have logic to begin with to conceive of the desirability
of avoiding contradiction. Something has to put the 'contra' into our
'diction'.

No, you only need to understand negation, to have a language with the word 'not'. Then if someone says to you "X" and "not-X" you immediately realize the need to avoid contradiction, because a contradiction fails to express anything.

  The 'laws' of quantum mechanics also follow from simple
assumptions about the world having symmetries (c.f. Russell Standish's "Theory of
Nothing"
and Vic Stenger's "The Comprehensible Cosmos") and having a symmetry is a kind
of
'nothing', i.e. having no distinguishing characteristic under some
transformation.
Invariance is one aspect of symmetry,

It's an essential aspect. A symmetry is a property that is invariant under some transformation.

but you cannot reduce symmetry
to being a 'kind of nothing'. Symmetry cannot be anything less than a
feature of sense.

I can if I explicitly say what kind it is - which I did.