On 5/8/2012 6:39 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On May 8, 8:22 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

So if carefully weigh my options and decide on one it's not free will?  I'd say
free will
is making any choice that is not coerced by another agent.
We have the concept of 'breaking someone's will', which leads me to
think that even being coerced contains the same degree of free will,
except they have chosen to subordinate it to some external agency. The
target is won over by reason, intimidation, confidence, etc, 'an offer
he can't refuse' - ie there is participation even in the face of a
seemingly overpowering coercion. It would seem that there is no
objective created condition that can automatically overpower your will
unless on some level you agree to it - the exception being
physiological conditions which affect consciousness.

Craig

When it feels like coercion it's because you have to chose between alternatives both of which are bad. It it's pay Big George or we break you legs - that's coercion. If it's a $500 or a date with Kate Beckinsale - that's free will.