On May 9, 5:30 am, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/9 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
>

> >  On 5/8/2012 4:24 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:52 AM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com>
> > <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Stathis: what's your definition? - JM
>
> > On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
> > <stath...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >  On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru>
> > <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:
>
> >  I have started listening to Beginning of Infinity and joined the
> > discussion
> > list for the book. Right now there is a discussion there
>
> > Free will in
> > MWIhttp://groups.google.com/group/beginning-of-infinity/t/b172f0e03d68bcc6
>
> > I am at the beginning of the book and I do not know for sure, but from
> > the
> > answers to this discussion it seems that according to David Deutsch one
> > can
> > find free will in MWI.
>
> >  One can find or not find free will anywhere depending on how one
> > defines it. That is the entire issue with free will.
>
> >  My definition: free will is when you're not sure you're going to do
> > something until you've done it.
>
> > So if carefully weigh my options and decide on one it's not free will?
> > I'd say free will is making any choice that is not coerced by another agent.
>
> > Brent
>
> It's compatible with what Stathis said... unti you've made the actual
> choise, you didn't do it and didn't know what it will be...  "the do
> something of Stathis can be you're not sure what you'll choose until you've
> chosen it."

What difference does it make whether you know what you'll choose
before, during, or after the choice? The key is the word choice
itself. The feeling that we can choose is free will. I can't choose
whether or not I get a fever, and the fact that I don't know that I am
going to get one doesn't make the fever any more of an expression of
my free will. Without the feeling of choice, all of our experiences
would be like getting the fever and we would be helpless spectators to
a deterministic world that we have no investment in.

Craig

Craig