On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>wrote:

> My definition: free will is when you're not sure you're going to do
> something until you've done it.

My own take on free will is that it is mostly a social construct, so that
we can be blamed (and blame others) without feeling bad. The idea of free
will only makes sense within a society.

What I want from my decisions is to be correct. I'm not sure what would be
added if they also were "absolutely free" or what would be removed if they
were not. If you are alone in the jungle, the last thing that will bother
you is whether your decisions are absolutely free or not.

I wanted to propose you an experiment. Sit for a moment and try not to
think on anything. Sure enough, before 30 seconds have transpired, thoughts
will pop up into your mind. Did you decide to think those thoughts? No,
because you were actually trying not to think. If you were not doing this
exercise but in your normal life and found yourself eating a chocolat bar
you would believe that it was you who had decided so. But actually, it just
popped up into your mind too. Most of our life is like that.

Ricardo.