On 5/9/2012 1:04 PM, R AM wrote:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    My definition: free will is when you're not sure you're going to do
    something until you've done it.

My own take on free will is that it is mostly a social construct, so that we can be blamed (and blame others) without feeling bad. The idea of free will only makes sense within a society.

Exactly. It is only in contrast to coerced will. An extreme example is prisoners of war. It is generally considered traitorous for a prisoner to give helpful information to the enemy. But an exception is made for yielding under torture.

Brent

What I want from my decisions is to be correct. I'm not sure what would be added if they also were "absolutely free" or what would be removed if they were not. If you are alone in the jungle, the last thing that will bother you is whether your decisions are absolutely free or not.

I wanted to propose you an experiment. Sit for a moment and try not to think on anything. Sure enough, before 30 seconds have transpired, thoughts will pop up into your mind. Did you decide to think those thoughts? No, because you were actually trying not to think. If you were not doing this exercise but in your normal life and found yourself eating a chocolat bar you would believe that it was you who had decided so. But actually, it just popped up into your mind too. Most of our life is like that.

Ricardo.

    --
    Stathis Papaioannou