On 5/9/2012 2:19 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
So:

1- If someone is threatening me via my senses (via a weapons he holds, on some forces he acts upon me... I still have free will, I've still the ability to choose, some choices are more dangerous, I'm coerced to choose what the agressor wants, but still have the possibility to act otherwise upon my will.

But if you do decide to comply determinism would say there wasn't a possibility you could have done otherwise. The other agent was compelling.

2- If someone is using chemical or electrical agent modifying my brain state and having me acting like a puppet, I don't have free will, I don't have anymore the possibility to act otherwise.

But is it really different? The words spoken to you also modify your brain state. It's not 'acting like a puppet' because it changes your mind as well as your action, you still think you're making a choice - it's not that the external agent just drives the efferent nerves to your muscles.