2012/5/9 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

> On 5/9/2012 2:19 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>
>> So:
>>
>> 1- If someone is threatening me via my senses (via a weapons he holds, on
>> some forces he acts upon me... I still have free will, I've still the
>> ability to choose, some choices are more dangerous, I'm coerced to choose
>> what the agressor wants, but still have the possibility to act otherwise
>> upon my will.
>>

> But if you do decide to comply determinism would say there wasn't a
> possibility you could have done otherwise.  The other agent was compelling.
>

>> 2- If someone is using chemical or electrical agent modifying my brain
>> state and having me acting like a puppet, I don't have free will, I don't
>> have anymore the possibility to act otherwise.
>>

> But is it really different?  The words spoken to you also modify your
> brain state.  It's not 'acting like a puppet' because it changes your mind
> as well as your action, you still think you're making a choice - it's not
> that the external agent just drives the efferent nerves to your muscles.
>
> Well it's not an off/on switch... so it depends. I'd say that while you
can still think for yourself, then you still have some amount of free
will... less and less free while more and more coerced.

Unless there is only one choice left (strange to still called that a
choice).. there still some amount of free will.

Because in reality... the world if full of coercions, social, geographical
etc... so either the stance is there is no free will because there is
always something that limit the availables choices hence the choice itself
is not free because it is constrained or until there is no more choices,
some amount of free will/self determination is present.

Quentin