On May 15, 7:19 am, R AM <ramra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > I would say that they cannot be meaningful in any sense, but I would
> > allow that some may consider meaningless unconscious processes to be a
> > form of decision, learning, or reinforcement.
> OK, let's take Kasparov vs. Deep Blue, According to you, Kasparov's
> decision making was meaningful, while Deep Blue's was not. Yet, Deep Blue
> won. Is this the kind of meaninglessness you are talking here?

Yes. Deep Blue didn't know the difference between winning or losing,
let alone care. It doesn't know how to play Chess, it only compares
statistics which we apply to Chess playing. Deep Blue could be
executing a thermonuclear holocaust instead of winning a game and it
would never know the difference. Kasparov knows the difference though.
He is playing the game and winning or losing means something to him.