On 5/19/2012 2:19 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
Alex,

One way I see of 'escaping' quantum immortality is to assume elements of the simulation argument ( http://www.simulation-argument.com/ ) are correct. The simulation argument supposes that the computational capacity of civilizations eventually reaches the point where they can run minds on these new computational substrates. Existing in a virtual reality provides much greater freedom for possible experiences, as well as much greater speeds. Signals in electronic circuits are about 1,000,000 times faster than the electrochemical signals of neurons. Thus is may be feasible to experience a 70-year life time in a little more than half an hour. Members of such advanced civilizations could experience who life times in the same way we might watch an episode of a TV show.

  Hi Jason,

Would not the experience of a 70-year life time require the computation of the simulation of that entire life time? How long would it take a top of the line computer to generate that simulation? It is not "a little more than half an hour". Talk to someone that is involved in CGI production sometime about how much time and computer power it takes to generate a 2 hour movie...

Assuming this is physically possible, then it is very likely (somewhere in the many branches) that it already has happened, somewhere. If it has happened, then it means we cannot know with certainty who we really are. At any time we might wake up and find ourselves to be a future human, some alien being, a god-like super mind, etc. Much like a youtube video has many viewers, your life may have many experiencers. When it ends, it is impossible to know who you might be.

Does this not assume that 1) there is really only one version of "you" that has the experience and 2) that the experiences for each observer are separable from each other. You are describing a collection of solipsists that operate under the delusion that what they each experience as "other people" are just empty shells.

Where this comes in regards to MWI immortality, is that even if ancestor simulations make up a small percentage of the explanations for your present moment of awareness, (let's say 2%), eventually I think these extensions become more probable than continued survival via strange or unlikely MWI possibilities. Also, there are reasons to believe the percentage might even be over 50%. Consider that it is predicted by 2045, $1000 could buy a computer a billion times more powerful than every human combined. In a short period of time, such a computer could generate more "human experience" than all the humans who have ever lived biological lives. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil )

I still do not understand why the number of possible "beings that have experience" is only a finite number.

Jason