2012/5/20 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>

> On 5/20/2012 12:24 AM, Russell Standish wrote:
>> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 01:17:18PM -0400, Stephen P. King wrote:
>>>  Dear Bruno,
>>>     I finally found a good and accessible paper<http://www.google.com/**
>>> url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&**source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=**
>>> 0CEoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%**2Fntrs.nasa.gov%2Farchive%**
>>> 2Fnasa%2Fcasi.ntrs.nasa.gov%**2F20050243612_2005246604.pdf&**
>>> ei=8NO3T9LmFu-d6AHAq_3uCg&usg=**AFQjCNHMBmwAi1K7yJY3oRBnJrYRC2**
> [...]
>>> 4-manifolds  implies
>>> that, given  some comprehensive specification  for  the  topology
>>> of  a manifold  (such  as
>>> its triangulation,  a  la  Regge  calculus,  or  instructions  for
>>> constructing  it  via  cutting
>>> and  gluing  simpler  spaces) _there  exists  no  general  algorithm
>>> to  decide  whether  the
>>> manifold is homeomorphic to some other manifold _ [l].  The
>>> impossibility of  classifying
>>> the  4-manifolds is  a well-known  topological result,  the proof of
>>> which,  however,  may
>>> not  be  well known  in  the  physics  community.  It  is
>>> potentially  a  result  of  profound
>>> physical  implications,  as  the  universe  certainly  appears  to
>>> be  a manifold  of  at  least
>>> four  dimensions."
>> Funnily enough, I remember from the dim-distant undergraduate days,
>> that the classifiability of 3 and 4-manifolds were open problems. 1&
>> 2-manifolds had known classifications (2-manifolds are classified by
>> the number of "holes" (aka genus), for instance). Manifolds of
>> dimension higher than 4 are known to be unclassifiable. So a result
>> that 4-manifolds are unclassifiable would be a significant topological
>> result. What's suspicious is the claim that this was proved in
>> 1960. Also suspicious in light of the Wikipedia entry claiming the
>> problem is still open:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**4-manifold<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-manifold>
> Hi Russell,
>    Could you be a bit more exact? The paper that I linked and quoted was
> considering classification in terms of general algorithms. This is a rather
> narrow case, no? I am not discussing the Poincare conjecture...
>  Conversely, as for the 3-manifold problem, this looks it might have been
>> solved by Perelman's work that also solved the more famous Poincare
>> conjecture in 2003. If there's anybody about that more knowledgeable on
>> these
>> matters, please comment.
>    Perelman solved the 3-d case of the Poincare conjecture AFAIK. I am
> pointing out something different, a bit more subtle.
>  I remember there was something peculiar about 4-dimensional space that
>> wasn't true of any other dimension - unfortunately, the sands of time
>> have erased the details from my memory. But I remember people were
>> speculating that it was a possible reason for why we lived in 4D
>> space-time.
>>     Yes, the possibility that dovetailing via general algorithm is not
> possible for 4-manifolds. This is important because if our perceived
> physical world  has a structure that cannot be defined by a general
> algorithm then some other explanation is necessary. Bruno is trying to
> convince us that our experiences of a physical world is nothing more than
> the shared dreams of numbers. I believe that this is false, numbers cannot
> form a primitive ontological basis from which our experiences of our

In Bruno's theory, the physical world is not computed by an algorithm, the
physical world is the limit of all computations going throught your current
state... what is computable is your current state, an infinity of
computations goes through it. So I don't see the problem here, the UD is
not an algorithm which computes the physical world 4D or whatever.