On 5/21/2012 3:49 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2012/5/21 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>>

    On 5/21/2012 7:54 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    2012/5/21 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net
    <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>>

        On 5/21/2012 1:55 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

            No it's not a computation, it arises because at every
            step, computations diverge into new sets of infinite
            computations, giving rise to the 1p indeterminacy.

            Quentin

         Hi Quentin,

           So could we agree that the idea that the universe is
        defined/determined ab initio ("in the beginning") is refuted
        by this?

    I don't know what you mean here... but in comp the universe per
    se does not exist, it emerges from computations and is not an
    object by itself (independent of computations).

    Dear Quentin,

        My interest is philosophy so I am asking questions in an
    attempt to learn about peoples ideas. Now I am learning about
    yours. Your sentence here implies to me that only "objects"
    (considered as capable of being separate and isolated from all
    others) can "exist". Only "objects" exist and not, for example,
    processes. Is this correct?

No, it depends what you mean by existing. When I say "in comp the universe per se does not exist", I mean it does not exist ontologically as it emerge from computations. Existence means different thing at different level.

Does a table exist ? It depends at which level you describe it.

Dear Quentin,

    I am trying to understand exactly how you think and define words.

By "exist" are you considering capacity of the referent of a word, say table, of being actually experiencing by anyone that might happen to be in its vecinity or otherwise capable of being causally affected by the presence and non-presence of the table?

I still don't understand what you mean by "the idea that the universe is defined/determined ab initio ("in the beginning") is refuted by this".

Regards,
Quentin

Don't worry about that for now. Let us nail down what "existence" is first.

--
Onward!

Stephen

~ Francis Bacon