On Tue, May 22, 2012  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  Nominated for a reason or nominated for no reason.
>>

> > Wrong. I am doing the nominating.

You are doing the nominating for a reason or you are doing the nominating
for no reason.

> > I have many reasons

Then you are deterministic. Many reasons do not make something less
deterministic, it just makes it more complex; but if there were NO reasons
then things really would be different, then things would be random.

> I can create a new course of action

And you created that new course of action for a reason (or reasons) in
which case it was deterministic, OR you created that new course of action
for no reason, not even one, in which case your action was random.

> > which cannot be reduced to 'for a reason or no reason'.

There is only one thing that can not be reduced to X or not X, gibberish.

> When you say "I want to do some things and don't want to do other things"
> how
> is that not free will?

So, you demand to know what the reason was that caused me to write what I
did. If I said I wrote that for no reason at all then I am certain you
would interpret that as a admission that I had lost the argument. But you
are a fan of the "free will" noise so I don't understand why me saying I
had no reason for doing something would not satisfy you.

However I personally think it's bad form to write things for no reason, and
so as it happens I did have a reason for writing what I wrote. The word
"will" is not logically contradictory because I want to do something for a
reason OR I want to do something for no reason. In "free will" I don't want
to do something for a reason AND I don't want to do something for no
reason; and that's what makes the "free will" noise triple distilled extra
virgin 100% pure GIBBERISH.

So the reason that caused my writing to differentiate  between "will" and
"free will" is that one is gibberish and the other is not.

> You can argue that this feeling of wanting to do things is an illusion

I honestly don't know what to make of that. In the first place illusion is
a perfectly real subjective phenomena and in the second place it's true, we
really do want to do some things and not do other things.

> > but that leaves the problem of what would be the point of such a feeling
> to exist in the universe that is purely deterministic.

If the universe determines that my life has no meaning then the universe
can kiss my ass because the universe is not in the meaning conveying
business, intelligence is. A cloud of hydrogen gas a billion light years
away can not give meaning to me but I can give meaning to it, and if the
universe doesn't like that fact the universe can lump it.

> > We interpret and execute the law

Here we go again. We interpret and execute the law for a reason or we
interpret and execute the law for no reason.

> There are laws we are compelled to observe and preserve

Then we are deterministic.

> but the way we choose to do that [...]

We choose the way we do that (and it does not matter what "that" is) for a
reason or we choose the way we do that for no reason.

  John K Clark