On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If it is absolutely certain that you won't sleep under a bush tonight
>> then it is impossible that you will do so and the probability is zero.
>> My understanding is that you don't approve of this sort of certain as
>> you believe it leaves no room for free will or even consciousness.
> I approve of it completely as an exercise in abstraction, but yes, I
> am confident that a universe of probability alone cannot generate
> sense of any kind.

Probability alone cannot generate sense, for that you need a brain of
some type. However, the brain must be either probabilistic or
deterministic. You still haven't explained the third category, neither
probabilistic nor deterministic. If I assert that I have special dice
which are neither probabilistic nor deterministic, what am I
asserting? How could we tell if I was telling the truth?

>> It doesn't neutralise significance. In one universe you wake up in
>> your bed and you tell yourself that you made a good decision, your bed
>> is warm and comfortable and it would have been stupid to sleep under a
>> bush. In another universe you wake up under a bush and you tell
>> yourself that you made a good decision, even though you were cold and
>> uncomfortable, because you have achieved your purpose of empathising
>> better with homeless people. In each case you made your own decision,
>> freely, with good reason and according to the laws of physics. Before
>> you made the decision you were not completely sure which way you would
>> go. Right now, you can say you're pretty sure you will wake up in your
>> bed tomorrow and I would bet that that is what will happen, but you
>> could change your mind.
> What point would there be to making any of those outcomes seem
> significant to us if every bad decision inevitably has its own
> universe anyhow, regardless of our choices?

When I worry about a decision I worry about what sort of universe I
will find myself in. In one universe I made a good decision and am
happy, in another I made a bad decision and am unhappy. If I didn't
worry about it, for example if I walked across the road without
looking, then I am more likely to end up in a universe where I am

Stathis Papaioannou