On 10 Jul 2012, at 19:49, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

There is something deeply religious in many scientifics in his quest to expand their Truth. And there is also something very philosophical indeed. But they ignore both. They ignore their beliefs and their positivistic metaphisics, born in the disputes between nominalists and realists during the middle ages. And there is no stronger faith than the faith that see himself as aboslute truth about everithing, that ignores its shorcomings and its history, and that show contempt or even denial of entire parts of the reality.

This furious scientist proselitism us understandable and it is even healthy, because the idea of a objective scientist with no emotions is hypocrite.

That shows once again that faith is something a society can not live without,. because faith in ultimate, unexplained truths is the prerequisite for any coordinated social action. And the truths upon which a society build itself is its most valuable treasure.

This seems of topic, but I suggest something to discuss here: shared human conscience. We live in a shared virtual conscience. It is shared because we share the context and it is virtual because it depends in the context of shared beliefs: beliefs in the myths and histories that created our country, beliefs in some moral laws, beliefs in the prestige of some special humans: priests, scientifics, political figures of the past and the present. We can not verify our beliefs because we have no time and no knowledge to do so. So we resort to faith. faith in authority: being scientific, political or anything. common faith and legitimated authority is necessary to live with others and thus whenever a society is build, it needs it.

And the assault of the foundational social truths and the core beliefs of the people is central for any battle for power

Do the hawking Theory of everything says something about this? I´m soure, because it is about everyhing, Isn´t?

Yes, physicists talk about that, but they often lacks rigor, as rigor in theology is no more in fashion since a long time for historical reason.

Bruno