On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 08:55:03AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> On 8/9/2012 12:06 AM, Russell Standish wrote:
> >IIUC, the delays in question are between when the brain plans
> >(possibly decides) (the action potential) to do a course of action,
> >and when the mind becomes consciously aware of the decision.
> >
> >Why would a several second delay between these two events have any
> >implications on the existence or otherwise of free will?
>
> I think it is that in the 'spirit' conception of mind, all thought
> is conscious thought.  So if there is an unconscious physical
> process that is causally connected to the decision that is evidence
> against the 'spirits free will'.
>
> Of course it has no implications for compatibilist 'free will'.
>
> Brent

Interesting - it might explain what all the fuss is about. Of course,
I don't know what is meant by "spirits free will", I'm guessing here it
has something to do with that ill-defined notion of soul.

It is plain to me that thoughts can be either conscious or
unconscious, and the conscious component is a strict minority of the
total.

Cheers