On 07/08/2012, at 11:40 AM, "Stephen P. King" <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22144-brain-might-not-stand-in-the-way-of-free-will.html
>
>    This is a BFD!

The problem of free will is not a scientific one, it is one of definition.
People continue to argue about it even though they are talking about different
things. For example, if you think that free will means "I do what I want to do,
and if I wanted to do something different I would have" then Libet's experiment
doesn't challenge this. If you think free will means "my decisions are neither
determined nor random" then Libet's experiment doesn't challenge this either.
(The first position is trivial, the second incoherent, but that is not a
scientific question either.)

-- Stathis Papaioannou