On 8/10/2012 3:10 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
This is not obvious for me, and I have to say that it is a point which is put in doubt by the salvia divinorum reports (including mine). When you dissociate the brain in parts, perhaps many parts, you realise that they might all be conscious. In fact the very idea of non-consciousness might be a construct of consciousness, and be realized by partial amnesia. I dunno. For the same reason I have stopped to believe that we can be unconscious during sleep. I think that we can only be amnesic-of-'previous-consciousness'.

I have never supposed that asleep=unconscious. When one is asleep, one is still perceptive; just trying whispering a sleeping person's name near them. This is quite different from being unconscious due to a concussion.

I agree that being unconscious might be a combination of loss of all bodily control plus a loss of memory. But that seems an unlikely coincidence. Rather it is evidence that memory is physical and that consciousness requires memory.