Hi Russell Standish

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/10/2012
From: Russell Standish
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-10, 08:04:44
Subject: Re: Libet's experimental result re-evaluated!

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:10:43PM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2012, at 00:23, Russell Standish wrote:
>

> >It is plain to me that thoughts can be either conscious or
> >unconscious, and the conscious component is a strict minority of the
> >total.
>
> This is not obvious for me, and I have to say that it is a point
> which is put in doubt by the salvia divinorum reports (including
> mine). When you dissociate the brain in parts, perhaps many parts,
> you realise that they might all be conscious. In fact the very idea
> of non-consciousness might be a construct of consciousness, and be
> realized by partial amnesia. I dunno. For the same reason I have
> stopped to believe that we can be unconscious during sleep. I think
> that we can only be amnesic-of-'previous-consciousness'.

With due respect to your salvia experiences, which I dare not follow,
I'm still more presuaded by the likes of Daniel Dennett, and his
"pandemonia" theory of the mind. In that idea, many subconscious
process, working disparately, solve different aspects of the problems
at hand, or provide different courses of action. The purpose of
consciousness is to select from among the course of action
presented by the pandemonium of subconscious processes - admittedly
consciousness per se may not be necessary for this role - any unifying
(aka reductive) process may be sufficient.

The reason I like this, is that it echoes an essentially Darwinian
process of random variation that is selected upon. Dawinian evolution
is the key to any form of creative process.

Cheers