On 14 Aug 2012, at 17:47, Roger wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

You say, "a non living computer can supported a living self- developing life form"

Do you mean support instead of supported ? Or what do you mean ?

I mean "support". Sorry.
I meant that some fixed hardware computer can emulate a virtual self- modifying version of itself, so that your point is not valid. If not you introduce a notion of living matter leading to an infinite regression. It might have a solution, but it beg the question of comp/ non-comp, and you are just saying (without arguing) that machines cannot think, and that souls are substantial actual infinities.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/14/2012
From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-12, 05:17:45
Subject: Re: Definitions of intelligence possibly useful to computers inAIordescribing life

On 11 Aug 2012, at 13:07, Roger wrote:

Hi Russell Standish

When I "gave in" to the AI point of view that computers can posess intelligence, I had overlooked the world of experience, which is not quantitative. Only
living things can experience the world.

You are right. But a non living computer can supported a living self- developing life form, unless you postulate that infinitely complex substances are at play in the mind.