BRUNO: I meant that some fixed hardware computer can emulate a virtual
self-modifying version of itself, so that your point is not valid.

ROGER: What point ?  And emulate in what sense ? Ie could a computer ever be a
good wine taster ?

BRUNO: If not you introduce a notion of living matter leading to an infinite
regression.

ROGER: Infinite regression of what ? Consciousness  ? The monad does away with
that problem,
except of course it's just philosophy, not hardware.

BRUNO: It might have a solution, but it begs the question of comp/non-comp, and
you are just saying
(without arguing) that machines cannot think, and that souls are substantial
actual infinities.

ROGER: I think I said and believe what you said I said, but I don't understand
your main point
just above, even vaguely. At any rate, emulation is not the real thing.

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/16/2012
could function."
You say, "a non living computer can supported a living self-developing life
form"

Do you mean support instead of supported ? Or what do you mean ?

I mean "support". Sorry.
I meant that some fixed hardware computer can emulate a virtual self-modifying
version of itself, so that your point is not valid.
If not you introduce a notion of living matter leading to an infinite
regression. It might have a solution, but it beg the question of comp/non-comp,
and you are just saying (without arguing) that machines cannot think, and that
souls are substantial actual infinities.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/14/2012