From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-15, 03:38:37
Subject: Re: Why AI is impossible

William,

On 14 Aug 2012, at 17:02, William R. Buckley wrote:

Bruno:

You?e turned things around.  The implication is context to information, not
information to context.

And, I suggest you think very long and carefully about my statement regarding
the computational
omniscience of the Turing machine.  Yes, you may call it universality but that
word is in fact too
strong; omniscience is more accurate.

Omniscience concerns beliefs or knowledge, mainly propositions. This can be
proved to be always incomplete for machine (and plausibly humans), never
"omni". Universality concerns functions, or computations. By a sort of miracle
(Church's thesis) this can be universal.

Put differently: procedural 'knowledge' can be universal. Assertive knowledge
is always incomplete.

Bruno

Also, read Jesper Hoffmeyer? book Biosemiotics.

wrb