On 16 Aug 2012, at 17:11, Roger wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

The Bible teaches that God spends much of his time
looking into men's hearts to see if love or evil rests there.
Would this be part of your definition of omniscience ?

I don't believe in any form of ommiscience. You might read a book by Grimm on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Incomplete-Universe-Totality-Knowledge/dp/0262071347

The "God" of comp is not omniscient, and can be see as being non potent at all, or omnipotent, according to the definition.

The bible teaches us that PI = 3, also. The bible can be inspiring, but lacks some rigor.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/16/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."
From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-15, 03:38:37
Subject: Re: Why AI is impossible

William,

On 14 Aug 2012, at 17:02, William R. Buckley wrote:

Bruno:
You抳e turned things around. The implication is context to information, not information to context. And, I suggest you think very long and carefully about my statement regarding the computational omniscience of the Turing machine. Yes, you may call it universality but that word is in fact too
strong; omniscience is more accurate.

Omniscience concerns beliefs or knowledge, mainly propositions. This can be proved to be always incomplete for machine (and plausibly humans), never "omni". Universality concerns functions, or computations. By a sort of miracle (Church's thesis) this can be universal.

Put differently: procedural 'knowledge' can be universal. Assertive knowledge is always incomplete.

Bruno

Also, read Jesper Hoffmeyer抯 book Biosemiotics.
wrb