On 16 Aug 2012, at 17:46, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/16/2012 8:34 AM, William R. Buckley wrote:

I used the term *omniscience* in a rather general way, as a substitute for the term *universal*

though it should be said that the purpose was to serve as adjective to the term *computational*

rather than the other way around, as might be expected when the phrase is given in the form of

*computational omniscience*. I like to play with language, and English has a rather free form.

Omniscience has a sense of universality to it, and it is not solely connected to deity; there is also

notion of realm, and mathematics is such. Hence, omniscience over computation (computational

omniscience) represents not so much all knowing as all computable, and remember, all that is

computable is so computable upon Turing machine as it might be anywhere else.

The Turing machine, simply by its construction, computes in this universal fashion, and no other

means of computing provides answers beyond those provided by Turing machine. Hence, the

Turing machine is not only universally competent as a computer, it also is computationally

omniscient.

I should think that would be called "computational omnipotence".

I agree. that would be less misleading. Computational omniscience can too much easily be intepreted as omniscience about computation, but no machine can be omniscient on computations as the halting problem already illustrates.

But science is concerns with proposition, and computability is concern with function and program. So William's vocabulary can misled people. In the interdisciplinary field, my methodology is to use the most frequently used terms by the people working in the field. When two fields use a common term with different interpretations, like the term "model" in physics and logics, then a case for a new word can be proposed, but its meaning needs to be constantly reminded to the different experts, in that case.