From: meekerdb
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-17, 14:53:19
Subject: Re: Leibniz on the unconscious

On 8/17/2012 10:30 AM, Roger wrote:
Hi meekerdb

In my view (perhaps not yours)  things are as they are and move as they
do for a reason, called "sufficient reason".

Science is the pursuit of sufficient reasons.

I doubt that.  I think science is about finding good explanations, and "good"
means having scope, consilience, and predictive power - not necessarily
deterministic.

Determinism is the belief that sufficient reasons exist.

Then it is a false belief since it has been found that some events are random.

And God (or some other creator) is the sufficient reason for why there is a
universe and not nothing.

Then what's the sufficient reason for God?  You slip in extra baggage by adding
"creator".  Either "God" is just a placeholder for what we don't know yet (God
of the gaps) or we can terminate the inference chain without it.