On 18 Aug 2012, at 14:47, Roger wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Being might be defined as =, meaning "is". It is a state, not a thing.
Then if a state, it is a state relative to some other state. L says that a more
dominant monad (superior state) will act on and will always act on a
less dominant monad.  Darwinism, if you like, before Darwin.
Survival of the fittest.

Hmm... May be the monads would be better described by the universal numbers/machines. But it is only in a very local sense, embedded in some computation(s), than we can give sense to "survival" of the fittest.

There may indeed be problems with understanding what Leibniz's substance is.

Benson Mates, in his book "The Philosophy of Leibniz" says that he, Mates, does

not understand what Leibniz's substance is ! Mates teaches philosophy at Berkeley.

OK.

What is certain is that L's substance is not physical, it is logical, but points to something outside of itself. So "mind" as a word is a substance, it is real pointing to the phenomenal mind,
the phenomenal mind being the experiencing consciousness.

OK.

Bertrand Russell has written a book on Leibniz's logic, and I think he defines substance there as anything with a complete set of predicates. IMHO Easy to say, hard to kanow when you have a complete set.

Complete in which sense?

Bruno

Also, predicates such as "man" in "Socrates was a man" are said to be (logically ) inside the subject "Socrates" .

Also, a subject or substance cannot be a predicagte, a predicate cannot be a subject.

I tend to think of substances as kingdoms. Complete in their own selves.

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/18/2012
Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so everything could function."