From: Brian Tenneson
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-30, 11:16:13
Subject: Re: What is thinking ?

Thinking implies a progression of time.  So perhaps it is equally important to
define time.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

Hi John Clark

Please define the term thinking.
What is thinking ?

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
8/30/2012
could function."
From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-29, 16:10:20
Subject: Re: Two reasons why computers IMHO cannot exhibit intelligence

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's worth mentioning that Turing did not intend his test to imply that
> machines could think, only that the closest we could come would be to
> construct machines that would be good at playing The Imitation Game.

No you are entirely incorrect, that is not worth mentioning. There is no
difference between arithmetic and simulated arithmetic and no difference
between thinking and imitation thinking.

> I have used the example of a trashcan lid in a fast food place that says
> THANK YOU.

And when a employee of a fast food restaurant says "THANK YOU" to the 47'th
customer for the 47'th time in the last hour he puts about as much thought into
the message as the trash can did.

John K Clark