What is thinking ? Parmenides thought that thinking and being are one, which
IMHO I agree with.
Thoughts come to us from the Platonic realm, which I personally, perhaps
mistakenly,
associate with what would be Penrose's incomputable realm.
Here is a brief discussion of technological or machine thinking vs lived
experience.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/ref/10.1080/00201740310002398#tabModule
IMHO Because computers cannot have lived experience, they cannot think.
Inquiry: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Philosophy
Volume 46, Issue 3, 2003

Thinking and Being: Heidegger and Wittgenstein on Machination and
Lived-Experience
Version of record first published: 05 Nov 2010
Heidegger's treatment of 'machination' in the Beitr鋑e zur Philosophie begins
the critique of technological thinking that would centrally characterize his
later work. Unlike later discussions of technology, the critique of machination
in Beitr鋑e connects its arising to the predominance of 'lived-experience' (
Erlebnis ) as the concealed basis for the possibility of a pre-delineated,
rule-based metaphysical understanding of the world. In this essay I explore
this connection. The unity of machination and lived-experience becomes
intelligible when both are traced to their common root in the primordial Greek
attitude of techne , originally a basic attitude of wondering knowledge of
nature. But with this common root revealed, the basic connection between
machination and lived-experience also emerges as an important development of
one of the deepest guiding thoughts of the Western philosophical tradition: the
Parmenidean assertion of the sameness of being and thinking. In the Beitr鋑e 's
analysis of machination and lived-experience, Heidegger hopes to discover a way
of thinking that avoids the Western tradition's constant basic assumption of
self-identity, an assumption which culminates in the modern picture of the
autonomous, self-identical subject aggressively set over against a
pre-delineated world of objects in a relationship of mutual confrontation. In
the final section, I investigate an important and illuminating parallel to
Heidegger's result: the consideration of the relationship between experience
and technological ways of thinking that forms the basis of the late
Wittgenstein's famous rule-following considerations.
everything-list

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
8/30/2012
could function."