Hi

I agree with what you say about thought but the question was about thinking
which to me suggests a process.  The word thinking is a verb, meaning
something (the thinker) is doing something (thinking).

There is a dictionary-type correspondence between processes and
formally-defined algorithms.  The first is in the realm of the physical
universe and the second is in the Platonic realm.  This correspondence is
like a bridge between the two.  (Although Max Tegmark might say there is no
essential difference between the two realms.)

Thinking is a process and thoughts are the outputs of algorithms
(algorithms exist in the Platonic realm and may or may not be expressible
in a natural language).  PERHAPS we can identify (concrete) thinking with
specific (abstract) algorithms or at least encode one by the other.  With
that identification made I can see how thinking can be viewed as something
abstract.



On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  Hi Brian Tenneson
>
> Thought itself, IMHO, is beyond spacetime.
> It belongs to that Platonic realm to which the
> circumstances of time are wholly irrelevant.
>
> But the brain is not. Perhaps it is something like
> a fishing line and hook waiting for something
> of interest or useful in the sea of thought
> to become esnared on it.
>
> Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
> 8/30/2012
> Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so
> everything could function."
>
> ----- Receiving the following content -----
> *From:* Brian Tenneson <tenn...@gmail.com>
> *Receiver:* everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
> *Time:* 2012-08-30, 11:16:13
> *Subject:* Re: What is thinking ?
>
>  Thinking implies a progression of time. So perhaps it is equally
> important to define time.
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  Hi John Clark
>>  Please define the term thinking.
>> What is thinking ?
>>   Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
>> 8/30/2012
>> Leibniz would say, "If there's no God, we'd have to invent him so
>> everything could function."
>>
>> ----- Receiving the following content -----
>> *From:* John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
>> *Receiver:* everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
>> *Time:* 2012-08-29, 16:10:20
>> *Subject:* Re: Two reasons why computers IMHO cannot exhibit intelligence
>>
>>  On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Craig Weinberg 
>> <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > It's worth mentioning that Turing did not intend his test to imply that
>>> machines could think, only that the closest we could come would be to
>>> construct machines that would be good at playing The Imitation Game.
>>>
>>
>> No you are entirely incorrect, that is not worth mentioning. There is no
>> difference between arithmetic and simulated arithmetic and no difference
>> between thinking and imitation thinking.
>>
>>  > I have used the example of a trashcan lid in a fast food place that
>>> says THANK YOU.
>>>
>>
>> And when a employee of a fast food restaurant says "THANK YOU" to the
>> 47'th customer for the 47'th time in the last hour he puts about as much
>> thought into the message as the trash can did.
>>
>> John K Clark
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Everything List" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Everything List" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
>
>  --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to