On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

  > The self is subjective and I can think of no way that objective machine
> codes and silicon chips could produce that.

That implies that you CAN think of a way that a bunch of cells in your
skull squirting out neurotransmitter chemicals can produce subjectivity.
What is that way, what vital ingredient does a  neurotransmitter chemical
in a brain have that a electron in a chip does not have?

> The self must be alive and conscious, two functions impossible to
> implement on silicon in binary code.

Then silicon is lacking something vital that carbon and hydrogen atoms
have. In other words you believe in vitalism. I don't.

 > Personally I believe that life cannot be created, it simply is/was/and
> ever shall be, beyond spacetime

Translated from the original bafflegab: Life does not exist in a place or
at a time. And that is clearly incorrect.

> So the universe and all life was produced as a thought in the mind of God

If you can't explain how God did this then you really haven't explained
anything at all and haven't given God very much to do, He must be
infinitely bored.

> If you don't like the word God replace it above with supreme monad or
> perhaps cosmic mind.

How about replacing it with a big "I don't know". Not knowing is a
perfectly respectable state to be in, unlike pretending to explained
something when you really have not.

  John K Clark