Hi Bruno Marchal

>From the standpoint of Leibniz's metaphysics,
God is necessary because He runs the whole
show. In that case, the concept of "gap" is irrelevent.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
8/31/2012
so that everything could function."
From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-30, 13:11:51
Subject: Re: Two reasons why computers IMHO cannot exhibit intelligence

On 29 Aug 2012, at 20:09, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:22:38 PM UTC-4, William R. Buckley wrote:

Cells are indeed controlled by software (as represented in wetware form ? i.e.
DNA).
It isn't really clear exactly what controls what in a living cell. I can say
that cars are controlled by traffic signals, clocks, and calendars.

To whatever we ascribe control, we only open up another level of unexplained
control beneath it. What makes DNA readable to a ribosome? What makes anything
readable to anything?

Encoding and decoding, or application and abstraction, or addition and
multiplication, ...

Sense is irreducible.

>From the first person perspective. Yes. For machine's too.

No software can control anything, even itself, unless something has the power
to make sense of it as software and the power to execute that sense within
itself as causally efficacious motive.

This seems to me like justifying the persistence of the physical laws by
invoking God. It is too quick gap filling for me, and does not explain
anything, as relying on fuzzy vague use of words. I might find sense there, but
in the context of criticizing mechanism, I find that suspicious, to be frank.