From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-30, 13:25:09
Subject: Re: Re: Re: What is thinking ?

I think that thinking can be best understood as hypothetical feeling. If you
start from sensation and allow that through time, memory would elide separate
instances of sense together, giving us meta-sensation or emotion. This can be
thought of as an emergent property, as a melody is an emergent property of a
sequence of notes, but this is not enough to explain what it really is. It
makes just as much sense to see the individual notes as mere stepping stones to
recover the richer sense of melodies. It works both ways, gestalts pulling
algebraically from the top down and fragments pushing geometrically from the
bottom up.

>From emotional gestalts, we get mental gestalts, which are essentially
>placeholders for emotions. Evacuated logical frameworks which we use like
>formulas to attach our awareness as lenses and prisms manipulate light.
>Thoughts have no extension in space, they literally aren't structures in
>space, they are metaphorical tropes through time.

Think of how the advent of language extends experience beyond the present. In a
paleolithic tribe, even if I can gesture and grunt, it can only be assumed that
I am communicating about something imminent and local. With language and
writing we can hear voices from centuries ago and far away. We can replace the
concrete fluidity of our shared realism with bubbles of hypothetical
possibility. We can feel emotions that we are not realistically justified in
feeling. We can plan and conspire to create things to be rather than just what
already is. Mind is emotion squared. Emotion is sensation squared. Sensation is
detection squared. Semiconductors detect, living cells feel, nervous systems
think. This is simplified of course, the reality is a much subtler continuum.

Craig