From: John Clark
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-30, 15:46:03
Subject: Re: Re: Two reasons why computers IMHO cannot exhibit intelligence

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

?> The self is subjective and I can think of?o way that objective machine
codes and silicon chips could produce that.

That implies that you CAN think of a way that a bunch of cells in your skull
squirting out neurotransmitter chemicals can produce subjectivity. What is that
way, what vital ingredient does a? neurotransmitter chemical in a brain have
that a electron in a chip does not have?

> The self must be alive and conscious, two functions impossible to implement
> on silicon in binary code.

Then silicon is lacking something vital that carbon and hydrogen atoms have. In
other words you believe in vitalism. I don't.

?> Personally I believe that life cannot be created, it simply is/was/and ever
shall be, beyond spacetime
?
Translated from the original bafflegab: Life does not exist in a place or at a
time. And that is clearly incorrect.?

> So the universe and all life was produced as a thought in the mind of God

If you can't explain how God did this then you really haven't explained
anything at all and haven't given God very much to do, He must be infinitely
bored.

> If you don't like the word God replace it above with supreme monad or perhaps
> cosmic mind.

How about replacing it with a big "I don't know". Not knowing is a perfectly
respectable state to be in, unlike pretending to explained something when you
really have not.

? John K Clark?

?