On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> We knew you didn't accept this, so the rest of the argument is irrelevant
>> to you. However, I'm still not sure despite multiple posts what your
>> position is on how much of your brain function could be replaced by an
>> appropriate machine. Presumably you agree that some of it can. For example,
>> if your job is to repeatedly push a button then a computer could easily
>> control a robot to perform this function. And this behaviour could be made
>> incrementally more complicated, so that for example the robot would press
>> the button faster if it heard the command "faster", if that were also part
>> of your job. With a good enough computer, good enough I/O devices and good
>> enough programming the robot could perform very complex tasks. You would say
>> it still does only what it's programmed to do, but how far do you think
>> given the most advanced technology it could get slotting into human society
>> and fooling everyone into believing that it is human? What test would you
>> devise in order to prove that it was not?
>

> I think it would progress just like dementia or brain cancer as far as the
> subject is concerned. They would experience increasing alienation from their
> mind and body as more of their brain was converted to an automated
> processing and control system. The extent to which that would translate into
> behavior that doctors, family, and friends would notice depends entirely on
> the quality of the technology used to destroy and replace the person.
>
> The test that I would use would be, as I have mentioned, to have someone be
> walked off of their brain one hemisphere at a time, and then walked back on.
> Ideally this process would be repeated several times for different
> durations. That is the only test that could possibly work as far as I can
> tell - of course it wouldn't prove success or failure beyond any theoretical
> doubt, but it would be a pretty good indicator.

I'm not talking about gradual brain replacement specifically but
replacement of the whole person with an AI controlling a robot. We
assume the machine is very technologically advanced. Progress in AI
may have been slow over the past few decades but extrapolate that slow
pace of change a thousand years into the future. Do you think you
would still be able to distinguish the robot from the human, and if so
what test would you use?

--
Stathis Papaioannou