Hi Folks,

I started reading the new Maudlin paper "Time and the Geometry of the Universe". I got it and started reading. I stopped dead when I read the following:

"Empirical considerations cannot establish the existence of such point events, but the geometrical tools discussed herein presuppose them. It would be pleasant to construct mathematical tools of geometrical analysis that do not rest on this presupposition, but that is work for another time."

So what is the point of this paper? The author explicitly jettisons empirical considerations. How is there any hope for falsification of anything in it? I will continue reading but I am sad. :_(

AH! Maybe this remark only applies to the discussion of Newtonian Time....