Hi Roger,

In my view, the "I" is how any particular subjective experience refers to
itself. I agree, you can't have consciousness without the "I" orientation,
although the ability to conceive of oneself may not be necessary for
consciousness. Consciousness requires only an experience of being, not
necessarily an understanding of the experience of being or self or "I". You
could say that the term 'consciousness' refers specifically to
self-awareness though, and I think it's ok to define the word that way. I'm
more interested in the hard problem - so not human consciousness in
particular but the faintest hint of awareness or sense as opposed to
completely non-experiential unconsciousness.

Craig