On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> OK. The bad is in arithmetic. To believe we can eliminate it would be like
> believing we can eliminate the number 666 from N. We can suppress the room
> 13 and 17,  even 666 in some hostels, but that is the best we can do.
> Still, we can reduce the harm, relatively, and learn to contemplate the
> spectacle, also.
> Bruno
> This reminds me of a standup bit, I forgot the comedian:

*"Often in hotels they don't have a 13th floor... But the people on the
14th floor know which floor they're really on...

But this is not fair, for if they decided to commit suicide by jumping out
of the window, they would die earlier!

And people in a suicidal state tend to forget this, which is sad because I
think people should be informed...

especially concerning the nuances of something as grave and important as
their own suicide, don't you think?"

A comedian demanding arithmetic truth of sorts vs. superstition... It's
necessary, otherwise we lie about grave, even if subtle nuances :)