On 13 Sep 2012, at 13:44, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

BRUNO: Matter is what is not determined, and thus contingent indeed, at its very roots, like W and M in a self-duplication experiment, or like, plausibly when looking at a photon through a calcite crystal.

ROGER: So Newton's Laws, such as F = ma, are not deterministic ?

It means that F = ma, if correct, can only be an approximation of a deeper non deterministic process. Note that it is actually the case, as F=ma can be derived from the more fundamental schroedinger equation, which indeed give rise to a first person plural indeterminacy.

ROGER: and in which men, so as not to be robots,

BRUNO: You might try to be polite with the robots, and with your son in law, victim of pro-life doctors who gave him an artificial brain without its consent. He does not complain on the artificial brain, though, as he is glad to be alive. Do you think it is a (philosophical) zombie? Come on! He is a Lutheran. Obviously, if you decide that a machine cannot be a Lutheran, few machines will be ...

ROGER: I may be wrong, but I don't see how an artifical brain can have any awareness or intelligence, for these require life-- real life.

As you say, you might be wrong.

Nobody understand how a machine, or a brain, can feel, but machine can already explain why they can know some true fact without being able to justify them---at all. With the good hypotheses, sometimes we can explain why there are things that we cannot explain.

And you might be true, but your personal feeling cannot be used in this setting, as they can only look like prejudices, even if true.

The best is to keep the mind open, to make clear assumptions and to reason, without ever pretending to know the public truth.